3.2 Patch Notes and the Forum Uproar
So, there comes the time again when the PTR is very close and the next content patch notes are being released. This time I’ve spent some quality time reading all the whining on the EU WoW forums. Pretty amusing I must say. I won’t copy the whole notes here, as you can find them pretty much anywhere now, but I’ll keep to some more interesting points.
- After much quiet contemplation, rogues now possess the ability to learn how to use one-handed axes.
- Sword Specialization: This talent is now called Hack and Slash and applies to axes as well as swords.
There are axes in my Sword Spec! Sounds like Blizzard’s plan to make me use more weapons, which sounds pretty nice. About the ridiculousness of a stealthy thief using axes, well, Combat specced rogues aren’t very stealthy anyway. We carry maces and swords already, so who cares. More options are never bad. Not many changes otherwise though (one Shadow Dance that I skipped ’cause I’m totally not interested in that tree anyway) – guess the class is more or less fine now.
- A Brew-FAST Mount: A new Feat of Strength achievement for acquiring any epic Brewfest mount.
- Have Keg, Will Travel: Now requires either a Brewfest mount or using Brewfest Hops to transform yours into one.
Yay for Brewfest change! This means I’ll be getting my Violet Proto-drake after all, without the need for two weeks of BRD grinding. I’ve never seen the mount drop last year despite doing the encounter a lot of times, and I’d be very angry (but not very surprised) if I won’t see it this year as well. That change of course doesn’t make the Violet drake much easier to get – it still requires a lot of commitment.
Emblem System Changes
- Both the 10 and 25 player instances of the Crusaders’ Coliseum drop a new Emblem of Triumph.
- Any dungeons that previously dropped Emblems of Heroism or Valor, such as Naxxramas or Heroic Halls of Stone, will now drop Emblems of Conquest instead. Emblems of Conquest can still be converted to Valor or Heroism.
- The heroic dungeon daily quest will now reward 2 Emblems of Triumph and the normal daily dungeon quest will reward 1 Emblem of Triumph.
- The existing achievements to collect 1, 25, 50, etc. Emblems of Heroism, Valor, and Conquest have been converted to Feats of Strength since Heroism and Valor Emblems are no longer attainable.
- New achievements have been added to collect various amounts of any combination of emblems.
And this is the single most controversial change in the patch notes, and it makes the most interesting posts on the forums to read. I fully support this change – it will make my alts happy with means to get better gear, it will make new players happy with means to get better gear faster (without the need to endlessly farm Naxx-10/Naxx-25 and always being few steps behind), and most importantly it will make guilds happy to recruit geared raiders more easily without the need to either poach them from other progressed guilds or to drag them through old content for too long.